Coconut Creme Brulee

My goal in making this Coconut Crème Brûlée recipe was to use the leftover coconut milk. The recipe called for 1 can (13.5 to 14 oz.) coconut milk. But I had a cup. Oh well. I was thinking about increasing the amount of heavy cream to compensate for the amount of liquid in the mixture, but then just decided to see how things turn out as it stands.

I sifted the sugar and cornstarch together into a bowl. I just used a strainer and spoon to smash the clumps on the first two passes.

Then on the third and fourth pass, I just tapped out anything that didn't want to fall through on its own into the sink.

Turned the oven to 300 degrees F.
Separated the 8 egg yolks from the egg whites, keeping the egg whites for later.

I whisked the egg yolks together with the sugar and cornstarch.

Then I whisked in 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1 cup coconut milk.

I poured the mixture through two strainers stacked on top of each other. I found it interesting that there were clumps of something caught by the strainer. I discarded the clumps in the sink.

I didn't have an official "large measuring cup with a pouring spout," but my blender pitcher worked great. I got 2 cups of mix.
So into two ramekins and two coffee mugs, which were placed in an 8 by 8 baking dish, I poured about a fourth of the mix in each.

I placed the baking dish into the oven, and poured water in about half-way up the ramekins. At first I forgot I was suppose to pour in hot water, so I had to take the ramekins and mugs out, pour the regular temperature water out and do it again.

Because I wasn't watch the time closely, I tented the pan at 36 minutes instead of 30. Since the foil went over the mugs, I don't know what the tenting will do for the mix in the ramekins.
In any case, at a total of 50 minutes in the oven, I tapped the ramekins, but couldn't tell left from right... So I just let it go for another 5 minutes, at which point I was sure they were done, so I removed the dish from the oven and the ramekins and mugs from the dish to cool.

After several minutes, I put them in the refrigerator.

Lol, I didn't realize a lighter is not strong enough to caramelize the sugar. So I have to go to the hardware store and buy a torch. I couldn't use the broiler, because then I should have a pan to put the ramekin in, and the glassware is not allowed to go into the broiler.

Then, even if I wanted to put the mug in the broiler, it wouldn't fit. But it was too late to go to the hardware store, it closes at 5 on Sundays. Then at some point, I couldn't help it, and just ate the mix with regular sugar on top. I tried to see if I could detect an egg flavor. I couldn't, but then again, I like custards, flan, and similar egg-heavy desserts. I found the texture acceptable, but don't know how it compares to restaurant or bakery quality creme brulee, I like this sort of stuff, but am not a connoisseur of it. In any case, I can't wait to pick up a torch tomorrow and get caramelizing.

So I scooped out the creme brulee from the mug, since I figured the torch wouldn't reach down too far. And I tried burning some sugar. I focused on just one spot. Not bad.


I wasn't able to fill the micro torch with enough butane to last long enough to burn a whole layer of sugar. So I eventually went with the broiler.

I made a makeshift pan with the tinfoil I used to tent the creme brulee a few days earlier. (Recycle, reuse, reduce!) I think I either put too much sugar, or the fact that some of the sugar already caramelized from the micro torch made the broiler's effect on the creme brulee uneven. But it was a more satisfying experience than just having sugar on top.

Last Semi-Result
So yesterday I bought a bread pan to use to put the ramekin in an ice-water bath. The ramekin fit, great! But a big problem happened. As I was pushing the broiler section back into the oven, the ice-water bath went up and over into the ramekin, soaking the sugar and creme brulee.

I removed the ramekin, poured out the excess water, and took a napkin to soak up any more water, but the sugar was soggy and i wasn't sure what to do. I should have scraped it away and put a dry coat on top. But I was like, whatever, and stuck it in. When I removed the ramekin after about 7 minutes, most of the sugar had turned brown and was bubbling, but when it hardened, it wasn't the hard consistency one would expect on top of a creme brulee. Oh well. Better luck next time.

No comments: